Grow Exeter | Aug 14, 2018 | 0
11 TIPS to Be a Better Salesperson
So you want to know how to be a better salesperson?
I’m going to share some tips to help you not just to be a better salesperson, but to be a salesperson that your customers will love.
It’s commonly debated whether the skills for being a super-duper salesperson can be learned, or are they just part of your very being. What do you think? Do you often wonder what it will take for you to be a better salesperson? On a day when you can’t seem to close a single deal, it feels like you’re pushing treacle uphill and nothing is ever going to ‘go right’ for you again. But then you get that amazing call that says “yes, we’d like to go ahead” and all is well in your world again. Balance is restored. And target is achieved (those words we just love to hear)
So here’s my tips, in no particular order;
- Know your customer and be genuinely interested in them. If you sound like you’re going through the motions, the customer will pick up on it.
- Seek to solve their problems – nobody buys anything because you did a great presentation. It’s got to be the right solution for the customer.
- Tailor your communication style to suit your customers’ preference
- Be a great listener – sales people are known for talking, but it’s listening which will make you successful.
- Don’t pitch at every customer you engage with – gain agreement that there’s a problem which needs solving first. Understand timescales and customer appetite before moving in to your pitch.
- Build knowledge and credibility in your own market sector, but also that of your customer. You really must ‘know your stuff’.
- Always be prepared and highly organised. Update your CRM, track your pipeline, know your numbers. And don’t slack on your paperwork.
- Do what you say you’ll do. Following up is vital, breaking a promise to a customer will lose you the sale and your reputation.
- Behave with integrity at all times. This is a biggie – never compromise your personal values. If it doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.
- Build a trusting relationship. The decision to buy is made with emotion, rather than logic. You must position yourself in a place of trust and credibility, especially if you intend to develop future cross-sell and upsell opportunities.
- NEVER EVER make a sale if your instinct tells you it’s not in the interests of the customer. If that means missing target, so be it.
Sales is fun – enjoy it!
Our clients give us great reviews.
Find our more about Momentum South West: www.momentumsouthwest.co.uk
By Rachael Howourth